Going Away to College Gifts – Heading off to college is an exciting and transformative time in a young person’s life. Help them start this new chapter on the right foot with a thoughtful going-away-to-college gift. Our curated selection of gifts for college-bound students offers a range of practical and sentimental presents that will make their transition smoother and more enjoyable.
From dorm room essentials like bedding sets and desk organizers to tech gadgets, inspirational books, and care packages, we have everything they need to thrive in their new environment. Show your support and encouragement by choosing a going-away-to-college gift that combines functionality, style, and personal touches. Send your loved one off to college with a gift that will remind them of home and provide support as they embark on this new chapter. Explore our curated selection of thoughtful gifts.
23 Handpicked Going Away to College Gifts
Attention all parents, friends, and well-wishers of college-bound teenagers! It’s that time of year again when our little chicks spread their wings and fly off to college. And what better way to bid them farewell than with a hilarious or heartwarming going-away gift? Trust us, a goodbye hug can only do so much.
But don’t panic! We’ve combed the interwebs (and our imaginations) to bring you the coolest, wackiest, and most thoughtful going away-to-college gifts on the planet. From practical gadgets to silly gag items, this list has it all. And if you’re a last-minute gift-giver (don’t worry, we won’t judge), we’ve got you covered too. No more frantic searching for the perfect college graduation gift, no more settling for a generic coffee mug or tacky t-shirt.
So, whether you’re saying goodbye to your best friend, sibling, or offspring, these going-away gifts for friends going to college are guaranteed to bring a smile (or a groan) to their faces. Plus, they’ll remind them of home and how much you care (in a good way, we promise).
In short, let’s make this send-off memorable, because who knows when they’ll come back for laundry or free food again?
- Rembrandt Charms HeartThis is a great way to remind someone that they will always be a part of your heart. This yellow-gold heart charm is hand polished and has a highly polished finish. It comes with a lifetime guarantee so you can be sure that it will last for as long.
- NuWave Air PurifierIf you’re sending a child away to the city, this might be one of the most sensible gifts. It is a great way to be sure that your baby is safe and battling the polluted city with ease. This air purifier also cuts out smoke, dust, allergens, and gasses like formaldehyde.
- Maison Francis PerfumeThis is a great Eau de perfume that can be given as a gift. It has a mild scent and lasts for hours. This 200 ml perfume bottle is eligible to be returned if you don’t like it. It is a great way to ensure your loved ones are smelling sweet.
- Electric Induction CooktopThis is one of the gifts to give a student. It will ensure that there is not too much f take-out food being consumed, while also allowing them to experiment and learn for themselves. This cooktop is waterproof and comes with 8 in-built levels to ensure good food.
- Snack BoxWho can say no to a box full of good snacks? Cravebox’s care package will make sure all of your friend's needs for sweets and savory snacks are fulfilled. It is affordable and easily deliverable, and your friend will owe you one. Whether they are happy or sad, if they want to celebrate an exam they passed or need a snack while watching their favorite Netflix show, this going away to college gifts box will be the perfect companion for the job!
- Good Friends are Like Stars Wood BoxWhen your good friends go to college, it's nice to bring with them the knowledge that your friendship, no matter where they are, will remain strong with these going away to college gifts.
- Bluetooth Digital PenHave you ever wanted to save the notes you write in your notebooks, on your computer as well, and all at the same time? Well, now you can, with this Bluetooth pen. It will provide sensitive and precise writing or drawing experience, with no lag between the tip of your pen and the line. It has been made to be consistent without a faulty dot. Help your friend store notes more practically and improve their studying efficiency by going away to college gifts!
- Countertop BlenderMost of the modern students live off unhealthy fast food or quick microwave meals, that’s why they need a health kick now and then. When we say healthy and convenient first thing that comes to mind are smoothies. This is why having a reliable countertop blender that doesn’t take up too much space and makes smoothies in under a minute is necessary. Even if they aren’t fond of vegetables or fruits, they will love these going away-to-college gifts because everything tastes better in smoothie form.
- Leather Photo AlbumYou have some amazing pictures with your friend, and you wonder how to make use of them. Get this 4x6 photo album, put the pictures inside, and give them to your friend just before college. They will become the main decoration of their door room. They aren’t too big, so they can be easily moved and set up pretty much anywhere. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to show your love and care for someone. Helping them remember your moments together really is priceless. It's the perfect going away to college gift for friends going to college!
- Amazon Gift CardBesides running out of coffee, what is the worst nightmare of any college student? Being short on cash, of course! That is why getting your almost college student friend a gift card is always as thoughtful as it’s practical. They can use this Amazon gift card for pretty much everything, school books, groceries, furniture, or entertainment (to lighten up those dull days). If you are unsure whether they’ll like the present or are out of ideas but still want your friend to know you care about them, going away to a college gift card is always a way to go!
- Anker Power BankRunning around all day, being outside of your place, classes, studying, hanging out with friends, imagine having to do all that if you forgot to charge your phone on time, or simply the battery isn’t as good as it was. College is already a load of stress and anxiety so let your friend at least be carefree about their phone not dying on them. Get them this neat, portable, and reliable power back which can charge their phone up to 2 times or even their tablet device once. These going away-to-college gifts have a simple design, 2 ports, and the size of a regular smartphone, perfect for carrying on your person at all times!
- Friendship Compass NecklaceIt's not easy to say goodbye to a friend who moves to college, especially since it's not easy to do the right way. Do it the way your BF will forever remember by giving her this friendship necklace as the going away to college gifts.
- Wacaco Minipresso GR, Portable Espresso MachineWhat is the one thing a student can’t survive without? Food, water, oxygen? No, coffee, of course! It will give your friend just that extra boost for when they need to finish an important paper or pull an all-nighter of studying. These going away-to-college gifts don’t even require batteries or power, it’s small, compact, and sturdy, perfect for any room or library. Wherever your friend is, and they require a little bit of caffeine to get them up and to work, the MiniPresso will come in clutch.
- Noise Cancelling Ear Plugs for SleepingWhat is the worst enemy of students living in busy door rooms? Noise, all day, every day. You can’t concentrate, so your productivity and creativity are being demolished. Help your friend out. At the start, they might not think much of going away to college gifts, but when their neighbors start making noise during the day and in the odd hours of the night, they quickly going to realize how much of a lifesaver you are. They can even put them in before they go to sleep for 24/7 noise protection.
- Ring Trinket Dish with Friendship QuoteAlthough she moves on to college, the gift for friends going to college will tell her that a true friendship is a journey without an end. Show your BFF that even if you are miles apart, she will be your friend forever regardless of the distance between you with these going away to college gifts.
- Tool SetThe going away to college gift that nobody thinks they need until it’s too late. A toolbox! Your friend will live independently, maybe for the first time in their life, so they probably haven’t fixed anything around the house or flat yet. That will change quickly, and when it does, they won’t be ready for it unless you come through for them and buy them this gift before they go to college. These going-away-to-college gifts contain screwdrivers, key wrenches, regular wrenches, hammers, wire cutters, and many more tools needed for most small repairs around their place.
- Stainless Steel, Insulated Water BottleAre your hot drinks getting cold too fast all the time, and your cold drinks are cold only for minutes? Well, that is going to happen to your friend too. They will be out of their apartment all day, so they can’t cool down or warm up their drinks. But you can save them from that trouble with just one cool-looking, stainless steel, insulated water bottle. They can pop them inside their backpack, and their drinks will stay the same temperature for the entire day with these going away-to-college gifts.
- Reminder of Your True FriendshipDo you want to give your friend a reminder of your true friendship and the main part of their new home’s decoration? This ceramic wall plaque is perfect for that. It will fit anywhere because of the size, and the warm feeling it gives off tells you it is handmade straight away. Be original and thoughtful with this Eleanor Roosevelt quote everyone should remember. It is made from natural clay, floral designs, and various quotes, but these going away-to-college gifts are suited for a friend who is going away!
- The Graduate Survival GuideAnthony Oneal’s Graduate Survival Guide truly is a must-read for any new student that is just about to embark on a new chapter of their life in college. It’s said to be the ultimate manual for students, helping them identify the 5 greatest mistakes to avoid in college. Your friend will already have it hard enough out there, so why not give him a bit of guidance and help before it’s too late with these going-away-to-college gifts?
- JBL Flip 4If you do not want to give a sentimental gift to a friend who goes to study then choose something that will be for them in college. Get your friend this wireless Bluetooth JBL Flip 4 speaker, and they will be sorted out in case of an outdoor party, beach day, or pretty much any event with a lot of people where a loud, waterproof speaker can come in handy as going away to college gifts.
- Apple iPadAre you ready to spend a little extra cash for that special friend, getting them an iPad is always a safe option. Leaving for college just like any other occasion, any other gift recipient is the right time to give this awesome gift. They won’t have to carry their laptop everywhere from now on. Many college students don’t want to spend money on TVs or don’t have enough space in their rooms, so getting them this tablet will be perfect for their Youtube or Netflix needs. These going-away-to-college gifts are also very portable and light, so traveling with them isn’t going to cause them any trouble.
- Bluetooth Tracker and FinderWhat is the one thing that happens to all of us in the worst possible times? Forgetting your phone, keys, or wallet can be so irritating, but you can also save a friend of yours from all of this trouble with a simple Bluetooth tracker and finder. Time Inc’s Mate is the solution. You attach it to any object you lose often and connect it to your smartphone. Through the app on your phone, you can easily locate the missing objects. Congratulations, you have saved your friend precious time and nerves.
- Friendship LampsIf your friend is moving away to college it is most likely going to be far away from you, so the only way you can keep in touch are phone calls, video calls over Skype or if you are more of an old-fashioned person, letters. With this Friendship Lamp, you can connect with your friends wherever they live. The only thing you need to do is to connect the lamps to Wi-Fi. They are already paired together. Next time one of you touches the lamp, the other paired-up lamp is going to light at the same time. You can even choose the color or design of the lamp and light! Showing that you haven’t forgotten your friend and saying hi, has never been easier!
Practical Going Away to College Gifts
When it comes to going away to college, practical gifts are a no-brainer. But let’s be real, no one wants to receive a set of matching Tupperware containers as a going-away gift (unless you’re secretly trying to tell them to stop living off of takeout). Instead, think outside the box (or in this case, the dorm room) with practical gifts that have a fun twist. For example, a mini ironing board that doubles as a beer pong table, or a shower curtain with pockets to hold all their toiletries (because let’s face it, shower caddies are so last season).
Funny College Gifts Ideas for friends
College can be a stressful time, so why not lighten the mood with a funny gift? The possibilities are endless here, but some classics include a giant foam hand to use during sports games, a life-sized cardboard cutout of their favorite celebrity crush, or a self-help book titled “How to Survive Your Roommate’s Weird Habits”. And let’s not forget about the holy grail of funny gifts: a whoopee cushion. Nothing says “I love you” like a well-timed fart noise.
Personalized Going Away Gifts
Going away to college can be a scary and lonely time, so personalized gifts can help ease the transition. But don’t settle for a monogrammed towel set (although, let’s be honest, that would be pretty cute). Instead, think about their interests and hobbies. Do they love to cook? Get them a personalized apron with their name on it. Are they a music buffs? Get them a personalized vinyl record with their favorite album. Or, if you’re feeling crafty, make them a personalized “survival kit” with all their favorite snacks, a stress ball, and a note of encouragement.
Care Packages for Going Away, Students
Care packages are a classic going away-to-college gift, but don’t just stick to the basics. Go above and beyond with a care package that includes a variety of snacks and goodies (because let’s be honest, the dining hall food can get old fast). Throw in some fun items like a mini basketball hoop for their dorm room, a pack of glow-in-the-dark stars to stick on their ceiling, or a mini disco ball for impromptu dance parties. And don’t forget to include a handwritten note telling them how much you miss them (and maybe some cash for laundry).
DIY Going Away Gifts
If you’re on a budget, DIY gifts can be a great option. But let’s be honest, not everyone is Martha Stewart (or MacGyver, for you ’80s kids). So, if you’re not confident in your crafting skills, keep it simple with a DIY photo album or a personalized memory jar filled with quotes, memories, and inside jokes. And if all else fails, just buy them a pack of highlighters in their favorite color and call it a day.
A Final Word on Gifts for Going Away to College
Selecting the right going away to college gift can help ease the transition and make the new chapter in a student’s life more comfortable and enjoyable. Help your college-bound loved one start their journey on the right foot with a meaningful gift. Practical gifts like dorm room essentials, such as bedding sets, desk organizers, or mini fridges, can be highly appreciated. Personalized items like engraved jewelry or photo frames can provide a sense of home and sentimental value. Tech gadgets like laptops, tablets, or noise-canceling headphones can enhance their academic experience.
Additionally, gift cards to stores or restaurants near their college campus can help them settle in and explore their new surroundings. Whatever gift you choose, aim for something that combines practicality, personalization, and a touch of encouragement to support the student as they embark on their exciting educational journey.